High School Level Functional training Macrocycle 2-A
- Weeks 19-23 of Macrocycle 2 for Functional training.
- This is a 3 times a week resistance training (Mondays-Wednesdays-Fridays), with Tuesdays for an agility workout. T
- hursdays and Sundays off. This is a Monday workout(quads, calves, hams, abs).
- Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up to start workout. Complete in a superset of 2-3 exercises with 60 seconds rest between exercises.
- Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, with arms at sides.
2. Jump up bringing knees up to chest.
3. Land on balls of feet and repeat immediately.
4. Remember to reduce ground contact time by landing soft on feet and springing into air.
Power Clean to Split Jerk
Starting Position: Grab the barbell with your body is in a bentover stance with your back flat.
Explode up by pushing your feet through the floor keeping the bar close to your legs.
Keep your arms straight and forcefully extend your hips, knees, and ankles.
At the same time shrug your shoulders and at their highest point curl the bar up while forcing your hips forward and support the bar at chest level.
From this position press the barbell over your head and flex your hips and squat down into a split stance at the same time. Finish with the barbell in an overhead position.
Return to starting position and repeat.
Every second and/or third clean, do the spit jerk. Lifts to be performed at 60-75 of max, working on technique and form.
Snatch to Overhead Squat
Keep torso straight but bent forward at the hips slightly.
Explosively raise the barbell by extending the hips, knee and ankle in a “jumping action”.
Keep your elbow pointed out and arm straight.
At maximum height slightly flex the hips then the knees.
Rotate elbows around and under the barbell. At maximum bar height, fully extend the elbows and lock the barbell overhead.
Catch the barbell by flexing at the knees and hips to absorb the weight and stand to a parallel stance. Proceed into a full squat and then stand up to an upright position. Repeat according to program.
The snatch part of this exercise is fast; the squat portion should be slow. Also, use a lighter weight than on a regular snatch: to be able to transition into a squat phase. Lifts shoeuld be performed at 60-75 of max, working on technique and form.
Leg 45 degree leg press
1. Sit in the machine and place one foot on the foot plate.
2. Bend your knee and lower the sled until your knee is bent to about 90 degrees.
3. Press your leg to full extension and repeat for the desired repetitions. Repeat with the other leg.
Seated Hamstring Curl
1. Start by adjusting the machine so that your knees line up with the pivot point of the lever.
2. Place your feet on top of the pad so that the lower part of your calf is on top of the pad.
3. Proceed to pull your feet down towards the floor until you have reached the full range of motion.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat for the desired repetitions.
Lateral Band Walk
1. Place a short band around your knees and place a long band around your feet with your arms holding the other end.
2. Proceed to slide your feet across the floor while barely picking your feet up off the ground.
3. Try to keep your hips level and just abduct your leg rather than tilting your hips up and down to raise your leg.
Vertical Hip Raise
1. Step up onto apparatus and place forearms into pads. Grasp handles and stabilize shoulders by depressing shoulders down.
2. Start position: bring knees up with hip flexed at approximately 90°.
3. Keeping back firmly pressed against back support, slowly lower legs.
4. Return to start position.
5. Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Keep stomach tight (naval drawn in towards spine) throughout entire movement.
Wood Chop with band or cable
1. Start by standing parallel to the band or cable.
2. Hang onto the handle in front of your body but up above your head and over the shoulder. Keeping your arms semi straight rotate your body down and away from the band.
3. Keep your feet planted and twist from your trunk or core. Remember to keep your arms semi straight throughout the movement.
4. Return to the starting point and repeat according to the required repetitions.
5. Repeat with the other side.