Pro Level Functional training Macrocycle 2-D
Weeks 19-24 of Macrocycle 2 for Functional training. This is a Friday workout(upper body). Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up to start workout. Complete in supersets of 2-3 exercises with 45 seconds rest between exercises. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
Kneel to Pushup
Start Position: Your body will be in an upright position sitting on your knees.
Hold medicine ball at chest level. Keeping your torso erect fall forward and chest press the medicine ball to a partner or a wall.
Upon releasing the ball drop your hands to the floor and immediately complete a push-up.
Advanced athletes: To make this more challenging have a partner throw the ball back to you. You will have to explode up with the push-up so that you are back in the seated upright position on your knees. Your partner will throw the ball back to you and then repeat the exercise until the desired repetitions are met.
Keep torso straight but bent forward at the hips slightly.
Explosively raise the bar by extending the hips, knee and ankle in a “jumping action”.
Keep your elbows out and shoulders directly above bar as long as possible.
Keep the bar close to the body.
Once you have extended the lower leg shrug your shoulders and at maximum elevation of the shoulders start pulling with the arms.
Keep the elbows high during the pull until the highest point.
Rotate elbows around and underneath the bar.
Rack the bar across the front of the shoulders.
Slightly flex the hips and knees to absorb the weight.
This should be a fluid motion where all the steps flow together.
Do this exercise at 60-75 of max, for speed and technique.
Incline DB chest press on SB ball
1. Lie on the ball so that the ball is under your upper back. Drop your hips so that they are only a couple of inches off the floor.
2. Start with the dumbells at shoulder level and proceed to press them straight up toward the ceiling.
3. Remember to keep your hands directly above your elbows during the press phase. The dumbells should end up directly above your chest.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Alt squat and press
1. Start by holding a dumbell in each hand at shoulder level.
2. Squat down to about parallel and explode up to a standing position.
3. Once you have squatted half way up then starting pressing the dumbells over your head.
4. Use the momentum from your squat to propel the dumbells above your head. Remember to stay in control of the dumbells at all times.
Cable Seated Row
1) Sit in upright position with knees slightly bent and feet planted on foot rests (if applicable).
2) Start position: Grasp bar with overhand grip (palms facing down) with arms fully extended and shoulder width apart. Back should be straight in a neutral position.
3) Keep elbows close to body and pull bar towards abdominal region. Squeeze shoulder blades together as bar touches abdominal region.
4) Return to start position.
Kneeling lateral front raise combo
1. Start by kneeling on a stability ball and maintaining your balance.
2. Take two kettleballs or dumbells and keeping your arms straight raise them out to the side parallel with your shoulders.
3. Once you reach parallel then rotate them forward so that they are extended directly in front of you.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat.
1. Step up on foot platform (if available) and position hands on dip bars.
2. Start position: Remove feet from platforms and suspend the body with slightly bent elbows. Lean forward slightly so that your elbows are slightly past the plane of your back and knees slightly bent.
3. Lower your body until your upper arm is parallel to the floor.
4. Return to starting position by extending the elbows to a slightly bent position.
5. Remember to keep the trunk bent forward, head neutral, and chest up.
Rear Delt Machine Fly
1. Start position: Face into machine and grab machine handles.
2. With elbows slightly bent and facing back bring hands back in semi-circular motion and squeeze shoulder blades together at top of movement.
3. Return to start position.
4. Remember to keep head in a neutral position.
Cable Lateral Curls
1. Start by holding a cable in each hand at shoulder level with your arms extended.
2. Your palms should be facing up. Now curl the cables up and towards your shoulders keeping your elbows in a relatively stationary position.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for the desired repetitions.
Dumbbell Wrist Curl
1. Grasp DB. Sit in upright position and rest forearms on corresponding thighs with the palms facing up or rest forearms on a flat bench or training table.
2. Hands and wrists should be off the thighs or table (as shown).
3. Raise the weight by flexing at the wrist.
4. Lower the weight and repeat as prescribed.