Pro Level Pre-Season training Macrocycles 1
- Weeks 22-26 of Macrocycle 1 for Pre-Season training.
- This is a twice a week resistance program.
- Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up.
- Complete in supersets of 2-3 exercises with 45 seconds rest betwween exercises.
- Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
Straight Arm Pulldowns
1. Start by holding a cable bar at shoulder level with your arms extended.
2. Lower the cable down towards your waist remembering to keep your arms straight.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
Box Step with Dumbbell & Knee Drive
1. Stand behind box and place one foot on top of box, heel close to the closest edge. Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
2. Push off the box and explode vertically and drive your other knee up towards your chest. Complete the prescribed number of reps.
Repeat with other leg and continue according to prescribed number of repetitions
1. Step up on foot platform (if available) and position hands on dip bars.
2. Start position: Remove feet from platforms and suspend the body with slightly bent elbows. Lean forward slightly so that your elbows are slightly past the plane of your back and knees slightly bent.
3. Lower your body until your upper arm is parallel to the floor.
4. Return to starting position by extending the elbows to a slightly bent position.
5. Remember to keep the trunk bent forward, head neutral, and chest up.
Use a weighted vest or belt for added resistance.
Free Motion Hamstring Curls
1. Start by standing on the platform and placing a foot in the foot harness. Step to the side so that your foot hangs off the edge of the platform.
2. Proceed to curl your foot back and up keeping your knee stabilized next to your other knee and bringing your foot all the way to your butt.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat according to the prescribed repetitions. Repeat with the other leg.
Alternating Kettlebell Shoulder Press Balance
1. Start by balancing yourself on the board. Next balance yourself holding a kettlebell in each hand at shoulder height.
2. Press one kettlebell up over your head and return to the starting position. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions and then switch arms.
3. For variety you can alternate pressing back and forth for the desired repetitions.
Machine High to Low Row
1. Start by sitting in the machine and grabbing a hold of the levers or handles.
2. Keeping your upper body stable and upright pull the levers down towards your chest.
3. Squeeze your shoulder blades together while completing this movement.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat for the suggested repetitions.
Cable Curl (one arm)
1) Stand approximately 2 feet away from cable pulley with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
2) Start position: Grasp handle underhand grip (palm facing forward) allow arm to hang down at side. Elbow should be close to side.
3) Flex at the elbow and curl handle up to approximately shoulder level. Keep elbow close to side throughout movement.
4) Return to start position.
One Arm Seated Tricep Extension
1. Sit in upright position at about a 45 degree angle.
2. Start position: Grasp cable handle shoulder or medium width apart with overhand grip (palms down). Press cable handle directly overhead (now palms are up).
3. Stabilize shoulders and lower weight moving only at the elbow joint until forearm is parallel to floor. Keep elbows pointing forward throughout movement.
4. Return to start position.
Remember to keep back and head straight - hyperextension or flexion may cause injury.
Back Extension on ball
1. Lie face down on a stability ball positioned under your hips and your feet on the floor.
2. Place a toning bar within your crossed arms and held against your chest.
3. With your upper body parallel to your hips hyperextend slowly and raise your shoulders up towards the ceiling.
4. You should only move a couple of inches and there is no need to forcefully hyperextend or extend past your bodies range of motion. You will only risk injury.
5. Return to the neutral or parallel position and repeat.
Instead of a toning bar, a dumbell or a weighted plate can be used, especfially on low rep days(Mondays).
Weight shift balance on balance disc
1. Start by standing on one balance disc with both feet.
2. Once your balance is maintained pick one heel up off the ground and onto your toes. Then put that foot down and pick up the other heel. It will look like you are walking in place.
3. Keep your core tight throughout this movement and repeat for the prescribed repetitions.
Cable Kneeling Crunch
Starting Position: Start on your knees and hold a cable bar next to or behind your head.
Lean forward slightly and crunch your midsection towards the floor pulling the cable down.
Return to starting position.
Reverse Wood Chop on ball
1. Start by sitting on a ball and reaching down and grabbing your band.
2. Keeping your arms straight rotate your body and raise your arms up towards the opposite shoulder.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for the desired repetitions. Complete same movement with the other side.
Pushup with rotation
1. Start by completing a normal pushup and then at the top of the second pushup pick your hand up off the ground and rotate your upper body so that your hand is above your head.
2. Proceed to complete this same movement with the other arm. Then return to a normal pushup.
3. Complete this movement for the desired number of repetitions.
4. To make this more challenging hold a dumbell in each hand while completing this movement.