Stability Ball Workout 9
Complete in a circuit fashion of 4 exercises for the first two circuits and 3 exercises for the final circuit.
1) Lie back onto a ball with your body at an incline (45° or less) with a DB in each hand. (You may rest each DB on the corresponding thigh.)
2) Start position: Lie onto your back and bring the DB’s to your shoulders. Press the DB’s up directly above the chest with the DB’s almost touching and palms facing each other (neutral grip).
3) Keeping the elbows slightly bent, lower the DB’s out and away from each other in an arcing motion with hands aligned with the upper chest region.
4) Let your upper arm go parallel to slightly past parallel to the ground before returning to the start position.
5) To end the exercise, place the DB’s on shoulders, then onto thighs or at sides.
6) Remember to keep both feet flat on the floor at all times and keep the lower back in a neutral position.
Calf raises on ball
1. Lie on your back on the ball and have your knees bent at 90 degrees.
2. Holding this position raise your heels off the ground until your ankles are fully extended.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat.
1) Sit in upright position on flexaball with feet flat on floor.
2) Walk feet forward allowing flexaball to roll underneath body until it is positioned on lower to mid-back region. Raise hips slightly to create a “table top” position parallel to floor.
3) Place hands behind head with elbows back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
4) Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders up and rotate your shoulders to the left.
5) Return to start position and repeat to the other side.
6) Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion of either may cause injury.
Supine hamsring curl with bridge
1. Lie on your back on the floor and place your feet on top of a stability ball.
2. Raise your hips up off the ground by pushing your feet into the ball. Keep your legs straight.
3. Maintaining that bridge position curl your feet in towards your butt and then return to the starting position.
4. Repeat according to the prescribed repetitions and keep your hips elevated off the ground.
Prone Row with Ball
1. Lie face down on a stability ball so that the ball is under your lower abdomen.
2. Holding two dumbells row them up towards your shoulders keeping your elbows out wide and back staying flat.
3. Remember to pinch your shoulder blades together as you row and keep your upper body stable.
Wall Sit with ball
1. Place ball against the wall and your lower back.
2. Proceed into a squated position so that your thighs are parallel to the ground.
3. Hold this position for the required number of seconds.
4. Remember to keep your feet flat on the floor and your knees behind your toes.
Arm to Leg Exchange
1) Lie back onto floor or bench with knees bent and hands straight behind head. Keep elbows back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
2) Start position: Straighten legs and hold a stability ball between your legs.
3) Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominals and raise shoulders off floor or bench. During the crunch, also bring legs and ball towards chest. At the top position transfer the ball from your legs to your hands.
4) Return to start position and repeat in the other direction.
5) Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion of either may cause injury.
DB preacher curls on ball
1. Kneel on one knee and place one arm over the stability ball.
2 Your tricep should be resting against the ball.
3. Curl the dumbell up and then extend until your arm is almost completely extended. Stop just short of locking out your elbow.
4. Repeat for the prescribed reps and then repeat with the other arm.
Reverse Fly with Cobra
1. Start by lying face down on the ball below your abdomen and hold dumbells down towards the ground.
2. Slowly arch your lower back and hold this position. While holding this position bring the dumbells out and up until parallel with your shoulders.
3. Pinch your shoulder blades in towards your spine while doing this.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Seated Upright Row on Ball with Band
1. Start by sitting on a ball with the band secured under your feet or the ball.
2. Raise the band up by pulling with your hands up towards your shoulders.
3. During the movement keep your elbows higher than your hands or try to lead the movement with your elbows.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Arm seated tricep extension on ball
1. Start by placing the band under the bench or seat and grabbing one end of the band with your hand.
2. Sitting in an upright position with your abs tight extend your hand over your head until your arm is straight.
3. Keep elbow pointed towards the ceiling and bend elbow to repeat movement for the recommended repetitions.
4. Repeat with the other arm.