Vertical Jump Workout 8
- Complete in straight sets with 2 minutes rest in between sets.
Over the Back Toss
1. Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart. Have a partner or trainer stand approximately 10-15 yards behind you.
2. Grasp ball and lower body into a semi-squat position. Explode up extending the entire body and throwing medicine ball up and over the body.
3. The goal is to throw the ball behind you as far as you and generating most of the power in the legs.
4. Catch ball on the bounce from your partner and repeat according to prescribed repetitions.
Explosive Start Throws
Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart. Knees should be slightly bent.
Pick medicine ball up to chest level.
Quickly explode up and press the ball straight out as far and fast as you can.
As you press the ball forward explode with either leg so that you actually sprint forward a couple of steps.
Lateral High Hops
1. Stand to left side of box and place right foot on top of box.
2. Push off the box using the right leg only and explode vertically as high as possible. Drive the arms forward and up for maximum height.
3. Land with opposite foot onto box. Repeat with the other foot.
4. Repeat according to prescribed number of repetitions.
Multiple Jump Squats
1) Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, trunk flexed forward slightly with back straight in a neutral position.
2) Arms should be in the “ready” position with elbows flexed at approximately 90°.
3) Lower body where thighs are parallel to ground.
4) Explode vertically and drive arms up.
5) Land on both feet and repeat.
6) Prior to takeoff extend the ankles to their maximum range (full plantar flexion) to ensure proper mechanics. Repeat according to prescribed repetitions.
Lying Hamstring Curl
1) Lie face down on bench with pad adjusted to fit behind ankles. If machine does not angle upper torso downward, it is recommended that a pillow be placed underneath stomach.
2) Start position: Position knees below bottom edge of bench or pad. Legs should be straight with knees aligned to the lever arm axis of motion and hands grasping handles or side of bench (if applicable).
3) Raise lever arm by flexing at the knees past 90°.
4) Return to start position.
5) Remember to keep hips in contact with bench at all times. Do not hyperextend the low back during movement.
Donkey Calf Raise
1. Set yourself into the machine with your back against the pad. Hands should grab onto the handles and place feet so that the balls of your feet are the only thing on the foot plate.
2. Straighten your legs and remove safety stop. Keeping your legs semi straight bend just at the ankle joint.
3. Drop your heels towards the floor as far as they will go and then flex your calves to raise the heels up toward the ceiling.
4. Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.