Back Workout 4
- Complete in one circuit with minimal rest in between exercises.
- Rest 1-2 minutes and then complete for a 2nd circuit.
Start Position: Hold medicine ball with your arms extended over your right shoulder.
In one continuous motion bring the ball down in front of you like you are chopping wood and the ball should end towards your left foot.
Stand back up and raise the ball straight up over your left shoulder and now bring the ball down towards your right foot.
You will have to bend at your knees to complete this.
Return to starting position and repeat.
Side Flexion Medicine and Stability Ball
Start Position: Lie on your side on top of the stability ball and separate your legs to maintain balance.
While holding a medicine ball in front of your chest laterally flex your trunk up towards the ceiling.
Return to starting position. Complete this on both sides.
1. Stand with feet hip-width apart; place left foot approximately one foot in front of right foot.
2. Hold medicine ball with both hands and arms only slightly bent.
3. Swing ball over to the right hip and forcefully underhand toss ball forward to a partner or wall. Keep the stomach drawn in to maximize proper usage of muscle.
4. Catch ball on the bounce from your partner or wall and repeat according to prescribed repetitions.
Medicine Ball Back Extension
1. Position body face down on apparatus placing hips and ankles on respective pads.
2. Place hips (and not stomach) on pad. Place lower leg or achilles tendon area on pad. Hold a medicine ball against your chest.
3. Start position: Back should be parallel to ground with knees slightly bent.
4. Lower body until legs and hip are approximately at 90°.
5. Return to start position.
To increase resistance, place arms behind head -> arms extended overhead -> holding weight plate or weighted object across chest.
One Leg V-Up
1) Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees bent, both hands behind head. Keep elbow back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
2) Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. Extend arms and also raise one leg up toward ceiling.
3) Return to start position.
Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion may cause injury. To increase resistance, hold medicine ball in hands. To decrease resistance, position hand closer towards body
Repeat with the other leg on the next set.
Toe Touch with Med Ball
1. Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with legs straight and up towards the ceiling. Your hands should be straight up and holding a medicine ball. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
2. Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench and reach the medicine ball towards your feet.
3. Return to start position.
4. Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion of either may cause injury.