Youth Level Functional training Macrocycle 2
Weeks 17-21 of Macrocycle 2 for Functional training. This is a twice a week resistance program. Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up. Complete in straight sets with 45 60 seconds rest between sets. Complete an agility workout 1x a week.
1. Jog into the start of the drill for forward momentum.
2. After a few feet, forcefully push off with the left foot and bring the leg forward. At same time drive your right arm forward.
3. Repeat with other leg and arm
4. This exercise is an exaggerated running motion focusing on foot push-off and air time.
1. Start by getting into a push-up position.
2. Lower yourself to the ground and then explosively push up so that your hands leave the ground.
3. Catch your fall with your hands and immediately lower yourself into a pushup again and repeat.
4. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
1) Start position: Stand with feet hip width apart.
2) Step backward 2-3 feet and lower body forming a 90° bend at the front hip and knee. DO NOT allow front knee to extend past the big toe - may cause injury.
3) Pushing off front foot, return to start position. Continue with same leg or alternate as prescribed.
4) Remember to keep head and back upright in a neutral position. Shoulders and hips should remain squared at all times.
5) Watch for proper knee alignment - do not let front knee extend past big toe or deviate laterally or medially. Back knee should not come in contact with floor.
Back Extension on ball
1. Lie face down on a stability ball positioned under your hips and your feet on the floor.
2. Place a toning bar within your crossed arms and held against your chest.
3. With your upper body parallel to your hips hyperextend slowly and raise your shoulders up towards the ceiling.
4. You should only move a couple of inches and there is no need to forcefully hyperextend or extend past your bodies range of motion. You will only risk injury.
5. Return to the neutral or parallel position and repeat.
Lateral Front Raise
1. Start by holding a dumbell in each hand.
2. Raise one dumbell to the side and the other to the front simultaneously. Rotate your arms while holding this position.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat with the left arm raising to the front and the right arm raising to the side.
Cable Overhead Tricep Extensions
1. Start by placing cable or band at or near head level. Step forward with one foot for balance.
2. Grab handle with your hands and with your elbows pointing forward extend your hands out until your arms are straight.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Horizontal Calf Raise
1. Sit in the machine and place the balls of your feet on the foot plate.
2. Keeping your legs straight extend the balls of your feet and toes out away from you.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Close Grip Chinup (assisted)
1) Position hands shoulder width to slightly narrower than shoulder width apart with underhand grip (palms facing towards body).
2) Start position: Hang with arms fully extended and elbows forward. Feet may be crossed with knees bent or place feet on platform
3) Pull body up until bar is below chin level.
4) Return to start position.
5) Remember to keep the movement controlled with the body stable to minimize momentum and body sway. If the bar is too high, it is advisable to use a step to ensure proper hand placement as well as safety. Pick a weight that allows you to fatigue at the prescribed repetitions.
Kneeling Hip Extension
Starting Position: Place forearms on upper pad and place one knee on the lower pad.
Take the working leg and place on the foot plate.
Kick straight back and up to activate the glute with the working leg.
Return to starting position
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
1) Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent or sit in upright position.
2) Start position: Grasp DB’s with neutral grip (palms facing each other) and allow arms to hang down at sides. Elbows should be close to sides.
3) Flex at the elbows and curl DB’s up to approximately shoulder level. Keep elbows close to sides throughout movement. This exercise may be done one arm at a time.
4) Return to start position.
1. Start by placing your left foot over your right knee and place your hands behind your head.
2. Lift your shoulders up off the ground and twist so that your right elbows tries to touch your left knee.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat according to the required repetitions.
4. Repeat with the other side.