Pro Level Functional training Macrocycle 2
- Weeks 17-21 of Macrocycle 2 for Functional training.
- This is a twice a week resistance program.
- Do 5-10 minutes of a dynamic warm-up.
- Complete in straight sets with 45 seconds rest between sets.
Supine extended DB pullover
1. Lie on your back with the ball below your upper back. Your hips should be almost touching the ground.
2. Hold a kettleball in each hand at chest level.
3. Proceed to push with your feet so that your body comes up on top of the ball and is extended.
4. At the same time press the dumbells behind your head until your arms are extended.
5. Return to the starting position and repeat.
1) Start position: Stand with feet hip width apart. Hold medicine ball at waist.
2) Take right foot and step 2-3 feet out to the right side (or the 3 o’clock position). Lean torso forward and sit the right glute back. Reach ball down towards the right foot so that finger tips touch the floor. DO NOT allow lunging knee to extend past the big toe - may cause injury.
3) Pushing off lunging foot, return to start position. Continue with same leg or alternate as prescribed.
4) Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Reaching forward should be performed primarily at the hips and not the low back.
5) Watch for proper knee alignment - do not let lunging knee extend past big toe or deviate laterally or medially. Opposite leg should remain straight during lunging phase as shown.
1) Start position: Stand with feet hip width apart. Grasp DB’s hang arms down at sides.
2) Step forward 2-3 feet forming a 90° bend at the front hip and knee. DO NOT allow front knee to extend past the big toe - may cause injury.
3) Pushing off front foot, return to start position. Continue with same leg or alternate as prescribed.
4) Remember to keep head and back upright in a neutral position. Shoulders and hips should remain squared at all times.
5) Watch for proper knee alignment - do not let front knee extend past big toe or deviate laterally or medially. Back knee should not come in contact with floor.
Alternating DB Chest Press on Ball
1. Start by lying on your back on the ball. Hold a dumbell in each hand with your elbows out.
2. Contract your abdominals to maintain stability and once you are stabilized alternate and press one dumbell up above your chest. Then press the other dumbell.
3. Continue for the required number of repetitions.
Prone Row with Ball
1. Lie face down on a stability ball so that the ball is under your lower abdomen.
2. Holding two dumbells row them up towards your shoulders keeping your elbows out wide and back staying flat.
3. Remember to pinch your shoulder blades together as you row and keep your upper body stable.
Free Motion Fitness Bicep Curls
1. Stand in front or in between the pulleys.
2. Reach down and grab the pulleys and bring them to waist height.
3. Keeping your upper body tight and not moving curl the cables up towards your shoulders.
4. Make sure to keep your elbows tucked against your sides and do not shift them forward during the movement.
5. Repeat for the desired repetitions.
Wood Chop with band or cable
1. Start by standing parallel to the band or cable.
2. Hang onto the handle in front of your body but up above your head and over the shoulder. Keeping your arms semi straight rotate your body down and away from the band.
3. Keep your feet planted and twist from your trunk or core. Remember to keep your arms semi straight throughout the movement.
4. Return to the starting point and repeat according to the required repetitions.
5. Repeat with the other side.
Two Arm Cable Pushdown
1) Stand approximately 2-3 feet away from overhead pulley with feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent. You may use a staggered stance for increased stability.
2) Start position: Grasp bar with neutral grip (palms facing each other, thumbs up). Lower bar to chest level so that elbows are bent at 90°.
3) Keeping shoulders stabilized and elbows close to sides, extend arm and lower rope to hip level .
4) Return to start position.
5) Remember to keep back and head erect and in a neutral position. Stabilize shoulders by squeezing shoulder blades together slightly.
Cable Hip Raise
1) Lie back onto floor or bench with both knees bent and feet flat. Place hands at sides.
2) Contract abdominal muscles continuously to stabilize trunk (or tuck stomach in by drawing naval in towards spine). Lower back should be in a neutral position.
3) Start position: Raise both feet 8-12 inches off floor or bench with cable attached.
4) Straighten legs without touching feet on floor.
5) Return to start position.
6) Remember to maintain stability in lower back throughout movement by keeping abdominal muscles contracted - DO NOT ARCH LOWER BACK. To reduce intensity, extend legs so that feet are greater than 12 inches from floor or bench and progress from there.
DB squat and press
1. Start by holding the dumbells at shoulder level.
2. Proceed into a squat and when you start to stand up push the dumbells overhead until fully extended.
3. Bring the dumbells back down and go into a 1/4 squat. Return to the starting position.
4. Repeat this movement for the recommended repetitions.